(ARDHA PINCHA MAYURASANA)
- Hold just above the elbows to measure distance and place forearms on the mat.
- Interlace the fingers and cross the thumbs. Check you can see your little finger on the inside of the hands so it doesn’t get compressed.
- Tuck the toes under, lift the hips while lightly drawing the belly in.
- Push into the forearms to extend the upper arms and move the armpits back.
- Settle the heels deeper into the mat stretching down the backs of the legs with each exhale.
- Hold for 5-12 breaths.
- To move deeper extend one leg and hold for a few breaths radiating up and back through the root of the big toe.
- Repeat on the other side
- Come into child’s pose to recover for a few breaths.
- Builds strength and stability in the shoulders.
- Opens shoulders, chest and inner armpits
- Opens the backs of the legs and arches of the feet.
- Mobilises the hips.
- Builds inner heat.
- Avoid practising if you have a shoulder injury or weakness in the back.