ONE-LEGGED ARM BALANCE VARIATION
(EKA PADA KOUNDINYASANA 2)
HOW TO PERFOM
- Begin in Plank pose, make sure the heels of hands are underneath the shoulders and that the hands are fingers spread with middle finger facing forward.
- Bring the right knee towards to right elbow.
- Bend arms at elbow making sure that the arms are aligned as in Chaturanga Dandasana (Four Limbed Staff pose, see sequence) elbows above wrists, not splaying outwards.
- Squeeze the right inner thigh against the right bent arm, lean forward making sure shoulders are away from ears and shoulder blades towards each other. Focus on regular equal breathing, this will support and relax you.
- Moving weight forward allow the back leg to lift off the ground. Moving forward and opening out from the heart helps balance with the raised leg behind.
- Carefully straighten the right leg out to the side, externally rotate it out from the hip. Be strong in the pelvic floor, relax, focus on the breath and fly. Repeat the other side.
- Tones the belly and spine.
- Strengthens the arms and wrists.
- Self-confidence gets a big boost.
CONTRAINDICATIONS AND MODIFICATIONS
- Be cautious with any shoulder, wrist, elbow or hamstring injury.
- Modify by keeping back foot on ground, leg out to side bent.
- Good prep pose Chaturanga Dandasana (see sequence).