HOW TO PERFORM
• Sit in Dandasana (Staff Pose).
• Bend your right knee and place the right foot flat to the floor with the toes pointing forwards, heel as close to the right sitting bone as possible. Keep a fist distance between the right foot and left thigh.
• Flex your left foot and ground your left glute into the floor. Make sure the inner right thigh presses firmly against the right side of the torso.
• Inhale and raise both arms up by your ears to lengthen your spine and exhale, hinge from your hips reaching forward with both hands towards the left foot. Rotate your palms inwardly, so the thumb points to the floor and the palm faces out.
• Wrap the right arm around the right shin and the left arm behind binding the two hands together at the back.
• Level your shoulders to the floor and exhale, reach the crown of your head towards your left foot and lowering your torso towards the left leg. Roll the shoulders away from your ears.
• Keep the right knee facing directly upwards and use the bicep into the right shin to help draw the torso forwards.
• Hold for 5 breaths and repeat on the other side.
• Stretches the hips, hamstrings and shoulders.
• Activates the abdominal organs.
• Stimulates digestion and metabolism.
• As you bring the right arm forward in preparation for the bind around the leg, grip the bent knee with the left hand and pull the thigh in against the right side of the torso to help wedge the bicep and shin together.
• Use a strap between the hands if binding the hands behind the back is difficult.