HOW TO PERFORM
- Stand tall in Mountain Pose (Tadasana), with your feet inner hip distance apart, hug your shins to the midline, push your inner thighs back and lift up through your rib cage .
- Breathe and make a connection to the earth, spread your toes and equally press down with the four corners of your feet.
- Focus on a point in front of you that is not moving.
- Pour your weight into your left leg and lift your right heel.
- Root your left leg steadily into the earth, inhale and bring the sole of your right foot to your left inner thigh.
- Bring your hands into Anjali Mudra (prayer position in front of your heart) Hug your right foot and your left thigh together.
- Push your thighbones back, especially your left one and keeping this, lengthen your tailbone down and extend from the core of your pelvis through your left leg into the earth. Breathe into your steadiness in this balance.
- Inhale your arms up to the sky When you want to come out, gently exhale your arms down and release your foot at the same time Repeat on the other side, standing on your right leg.
Cultivates poise and focus. Calms the mind. Tones the leg muscles. Improves balance and posture. Gently opens hips.
For a simpler version you can place your foot either at your ankle with your toes on the earth or onto your shin. Never place your foot on your knee. Your arms and hands can be by your side, in Anjali Mudra in front of your heart, or together up over your head. You can also play with moving your arms from side to side, imagining that you are a tree in the wind.